Clear all

[Sticky] New Software features

167 Posts
48 Users
34 Likes
38.1 K Views
(@sales)
Member Customer

Hi, first of all thanks for creating this software, and having a forum where people can suggest improvements.

I have a chassis dyno that uses an eddy brake. The old electronics were damaged, but the brake and rollers still working fine -- A perfect candidate for your software.

I actually have the specs for the intertia of my rollers, and the exact diameter. One thing I'm finding it difficult to understand is why you measure the torque at the roller, but the RPM at the engine? Or am I missing something? With auto transmissions which have slip this can lead to different values on different runs, based on slip. I understand some people might use it this way, especially with a manual trans, but for a chassis dyno shouldn't the RPM and torque of the roller be whats important? Since that basically measures power at the wheels / power at the rollers?

Basically what i'm looking for is where I can enter the diameter of my roller, and how many pulses = one revolution of the roller. Currently I run my roller speed sensor into the RPM sensor, but without a way to enter roller diameter or pulse ratio the HP figures seem to have no real meaning. Im sure Im missing something, or a setup a screen, but I've just looked all through the software and can't seem to find where to enter this. Thankyou very much for your time and great product

Posted : 05/12/2018 7:36 am
(@sales)
Member Customer

After playing again today with the dyno, and having a good look at how the speed/rpm settings work, I believe this could be improved. The gear ratio calcs etc seem a bit of a backwards way of doing things.  Why not simply allow input of the roller diameter?

Having a place for roller diameter, along with the already present "pulses per roller revolution" would instantly enable accurate km/h readouts, and proper HP at the roller calculations. Almost all chassis dyno graphs plot HP / Torque against km/h, rather than RPM. Although RPM can be of course be added, it's nice to plot it separately to measure the convertor stretch in automatic cars among other things,

Again I love your software and your dedication to improvements by use of this forum, but I see this as quite a missed step. Please correct me if I am wrong, and if I'm not if you could add a section for entering "roller diameter" into the next update I would be very happy! Thanks again

This post was modified 5 years ago by sales

Posted : 07/12/2018 8:07 am
(@admin)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Hi,

Indeed speed is an easy add-on. If you see the Plugin post, the speedometer plug-in is just a couple of lines of code. It gets a bit more work (but still straight forward) when you want to have the option to switch between graphs of speed instead of RPM, and distance instead of time (so you can do drag tests). The file format needs to change and a few other things. Not difficult at all, and it is on the list of planned improvements, just not prioritized yet. 

RPM is of course more important than speed though, and the basis of all tuning.

Next release will be all about the plug in system, which I hope will give rise to many plug ins from all over the world, increasing the richness of features. 

Happy tuning!

Posted : 07/12/2018 9:05 am
(@sigve_b)
Member Customer

Posted by: sales

After playing again today with the dyno, and having a good look at how the speed/rpm settings work, I believe this could be improved. The gear ratio calcs etc seem a bit of a backwards way of doing things.  Why not simply allow input of the roller diameter?

Having a place for roller diameter, along with the already present "pulses per roller revolution" would instantly enable accurate km/h readouts, and proper HP at the roller calculations. Almost all chassis dyno graphs plot HP / Torque against km/h, rather than RPM. Although RPM can be of course be added, it's nice to plot it separately to measure the convertor stretch in automatic cars among other things,

Again I love your software and your dedication to improvements by use of this forum, but I see this as quite a missed step. Please correct me if I am wrong, and if I'm not if you could add a section for entering "roller diameter" into the next update I would be very happy! Thanks again

Hi.

Seems like you know what your talking about so just wanted to know why people use km/t as X axis on a dyno graph ? it really dont say anything about the engine in a tuning perspective, boost onset and so on ?

And why is it a more correct way of measuring torque ?  I dont see any benefits to adding km/t to the X axis other then fun to know top speed.

Maybe Jostein can share his 2 cents on the topic? 🙂

Regards Sigve

Posted : 08/12/2018 4:35 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin
Topic starter

You don't need any setup to get speed, so it is simple. Also, if you have an auto transmission you either need a way to use variable gear ratios (which YourDyno can) or you go for speed. 

But other than that I don't see any benefits, using RPM is better. If you see your engine running lean at 90kph, what do you do...? 

Posted : 08/12/2018 5:12 pm
(@svetsjonas)
Member Customer

Well, how about you start to think about how a converter is working ?

Thats when you need the speed for the axis.

Posted : 09/12/2018 6:30 am
(@sales)
Member Customer

It's the way a lot of commercial dyno's function, often plotted against roller speed / km/h. Especially in Dyno competitions -- the cars are just strapped down, and a power run made with no RPM data recorded. Since a chassis dyno is meant to measure HP/Torque at the wheels (which is basically at the roller with adjustment made for roller inertia)

Would it not be possible to have a box to enter roller diameter, so that km/h can be plotted? Or at least a gauge that displays KM/h? Currently I can get roller RPM, which is related to road speed, but there is no option to display a vehicle speed gauge.

Tuning for AFR etc, of course I am interested in doing this also, and that is relative to RPM, however having road speed is also useful for testing. eg of its use is plotting RPM next to road speed can show "convertor stretch" as power increases with is also useful for determining convertor efficiency and host of other things.

Thanks for your reply, and I hope i'm being clear enough! Attached is a typical graph from a Dyno Dynamics dyno

Posted : 11/12/2018 12:15 am
(@sigve_b)
Member Customer

Been googling about the use for roller speed/km/h and i can see the purpose.

But i tune engines so not to much use for me, and 98% cars on the dyno are manual transmission.

I learned something new and will never use a dynoplot with km/t as axis for power comparison again 🙂

Posted : 11/12/2018 6:43 pm
(@bmgjet)
Dyno Wizard

Request,
[New Mode] Manual brake % and Target weight.
Was a handy feature that was in the old dyno software I used. Youd enter the cars weight and the dyno retarder would try to apply a load of simular weight.
So was good for simulating road driving. And Manual brake % just a 0 - 100% setting for load on the retarder.

[New Setup] Quick start button.
Software can be a bit hard to setup for the first timers and non-tech savy users.
So just my idea would be have another button under Run "Quick Start"

Window 1.
Enter Car ID. (Loads profile from default folder if is present, Other wise makes new one). Textbox remembers last car entered so can be used for starting run each time easily on same job. Forgets last car between software shutdowns to privacy reasons.

Window 2.
Set Ratio / RPM input. (Use aux RPM input, Gear ratio, ect or Skip.)

Window 3.
Mode (Steady state, Manual / Weight brake, Power Run)

Window 4. (Depends on choice above)

1. Steady state / load run window set up. (You just need to use + or - to set the RPM to hold)

2. Manual / Weight brake, will ask for car weight and set brake to aim for that weight, Skipping will be like steady state and need you to use + or - to increase to brake load % you want.
  3. Power run will ask for RPM sweep range for auto logging, Skipping will set to manual logging.

P.S
Do you have a sticker design, A lot of the cars I tune the owners go crazy over getting stickers.

Posted : 25/01/2019 10:45 am
MjPower reacted
(@slider)

Posted by: bmgjet

Request,
[New Mode] Manual brake % and Target weight.
Was a handy feature that was in the old dyno software I used. Youd enter the cars weight and the dyno retarder would try to apply a load of simular weight.
So was good for simulating road driving. And Manual brake % just a 0 - 100% setting for load on the retarder.

I would like to have this mode too. It would be handy when you tune ”road driving” and half throttle area. Throttle enrichments, etc...

Posted : 25/01/2019 10:57 am
(@eric91)

I would like that when I load old raw file, it will have to be loaded with that day's hp correction factor .

Posted : 06/02/2019 10:32 pm
(@bmgjet)
Dyno Wizard

While your reworking raw log handling the date always shows wrong and might as well add a playback in real time for it as well.

Posted : 06/02/2019 11:05 pm
(@eric91)

Sure! 

Posted : 06/02/2019 11:13 pm
(@walter)

Hi, i'd request for some small changes/fixes.

Short key "V" for open select graphs, close it by pressing again V should be better.

for ppl use hp and whp, should be good when it's selected only whp, shown only whp numbers.

can be able to modify lines of hp and whp, let say solid line and dot line for example.

Thanks!

Posted : 10/02/2019 1:48 pm
(@madswp)

Its not a big deal, but i would be nice if you made it possible to "drag'n drop" raw datalog and CSV files direct in yourdyno software. 

Cheers

Posted : 23/03/2019 11:06 pm
Page 4 / 12
Share:
Select your currency
EUR Euro
USD United States (US) dollar