Notifications
Clear all

Torque arm

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@orac12)
Topic starter

Hi, I have a question about torque arm. I will be using a hydraulic pump so mounting will be a little more difficult. I plan to hopefully use the torque arm to mount the pump. But because of this one end of the torque arm will be mounted to the frame (and allowed to rotate with spherical bearing.)

My question is how to calculate torque arm length as obviously top mount will be taking some torque, but it will be a ratio of torque on load cell. I have attatched picture to show what I mean. Would torque arm length simply be L2 minus L1?  

I will be trying to keep length L1 as short as possible.

Posted : 20/11/2018 11:57 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

Hi,

Calculate the length to the middle of the brake axel. So your load arm length is L2. 

Note that what matters is actually the length from the middle of the brake axel to where the calibration load is placed. That is normally on top of the load cell, but does not need to be. If different, use the distance to the calibration weight.

Posted : 21/11/2018 12:44 am
(@orac12)
Topic starter

So I could make a calibration jig that would mount to front of retarder, with an arm on it of known length which i would place my weight on to, and then calibrate like that. that will be much easier than trying to place known load on the load cell that is mounted horizontally.

Posted : 21/11/2018 12:48 am
(@admin)
Member Admin

Yes. Only thing to think about is that you make the calibration jig symmetrical around the pump so it does not affect the calibration weight. 

Posted : 21/11/2018 12:51 am
Share:
Select your currency