Notifications
Clear all

Questions about machining

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@golder6400)
Topic starter

So I have recently stumbled upon the world of DIY dynos and I now I want to build one myself 🙂 

I understand all the electric bits, however I need a few pointers in terms of parts making.

As I see it I need to machine an input and "ouput" shaft for the telma, but haven't found much info on them.

Since there is some torsion and quite a bit of flexion involved (due to the cars weight) I am not sure which material is best suited, can I go with regular mild steel or should it be tougher steel ? I can simulate all of this in SolidWorks if I want to, but if there are any "common practices" I'd like to know

Are there any ready made solutions ?

Do you just press in the machined flanges, or do you also weld them ?

If machining all of these ends up being too expensive, I might just invest in a lathe and machine them myself, but I'd like to know how all of you have done it.

Posted : 29/12/2021 1:06 am
(@gse_uk)

For my self build Hub Dyno using old Telma's. I made the shafts and flanges from EN3B mild steel, I turned the inner flanges and shafts to an oversize then Tig welded them. I then put the assembly back in the lathe and finished turning them to the final size. I used 55mm diameter bar to start with and turned to a final size of 50 mm diameter. I went with to inner 2 pillow block bearings to take the load of the car. The hub drive flange is keyed to the shaft using  a 14x9x50 mm feather key

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by GSE_UK

Posted : 30/12/2021 1:06 pm
(@gse_uk)

Welded both sides

Posted : 30/12/2021 1:09 pm
Share:
Select your currency