Clear all

Parameter logging and Brake sweep function

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@laser-racing)
Topic starter

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anybody can explain to me why I am not able to see any other parameters apart from power, torque and RPM even with other parameter graphs visible in the run file attached? I would like to be able to view all of the parameters relevant to the PID control (RPM error, P gain, I gain, brake % etc.). post run in order to help get it setup. In the attached file, the brake was definatley on in manual control mode when I was logging data, but in the graphs all of these parameters are just reading zero. Please forgive my ignorance if it is obvious! 

On a completely different topic, I am hoping to try some of the other brake control modes just in case it isn't possible to get stable control using PID. In the case of the brake sweep (which would be good to try since I use a hydraulic brake), would it be possible to have the option to hold the current brake % at the end of the run rather than turn it off, much like in the load control mode? I only ask this as, in my application where there is no rev limiter, turning the brake off at the end of the run could lead to an over rev if you don't close the throttle instantly. 

Thanks very much. 

Posted : 10/05/2020 12:52 pm
(@laser-racing)
Topic starter

Can Jostein or anybody please pease provide me with some info on these points? Would be grateful for any help you can give.

Thanks again. 

Posted : 15/05/2020 5:52 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

@laser-racing, you should see all parameters from Brake1. Plus the brake value itself from all brakes. 

Can you try running the latest version? You can install and update the plugins directly in the installer.

Posted : 17/05/2020 3:11 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

On the brake control question. The brake is held steady at the end of the run, unless you have the "Enable correction for rolling resistance vs speed" turned on. This option enables the retardation run, and for that to work the brake naturally needs to turn off. Just leave this option off and the brake will stay on. A retardation run is never the less not possible for a hydraulic dyno, since the friction is too large in the brake even at fully open valve (unless you have a really high MOI).

Brake sweep is a good option for a hydraulic brake. You can also try PID with a Kd of 0.05 as a good starting point. It requires the control to be fast. 

Posted : 17/05/2020 3:22 pm
(@laser-racing)
Topic starter

Hi Jostein,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I wasn't using the latest version at the time. I have since tried the brake sweep mode and the brake % is logging fine. Haven't tried any PID controlled running but hopefully they will log ok as well now. 

I do seem to be having an issue with the brake sweep mode though. The run does not seem to want to start or end automatically. When the set start RPM is reached, the status goes to idle, but the hold RPM status in the brake control box remains off. The only way to start the run is by clicking the manual start box. The brake does then go to start brake setting and then gradually decreases as you would expect. The same applies at the end of the run; once the "Turn brake off:" set RPM is reached, the logging doesn't stop and the brake doesn't remain constant. The wording of this setting is why I thought the brake would go to 0% regardless once that RPM is reached. 

Any further help you can give would be be much appreciated.

Thanks again. 

Posted : 17/05/2020 8:40 pm
(@laser-racing)
Topic starter

Any thoughts on this Jostein? Forgive me if it's something I am doing wrong but just thought it could potentially be a bug? Would certainly be helpful to have the run start and end automatically. 

Thanks again. 

Posted : 30/05/2020 10:09 am
(@laser-racing)
Topic starter

Forgive me as I have just had another look and likely found my error! I didn't have automatic start/stop enabled under the setup tab!! I didn't think I would need to pay it any attention based off what I had read in the brake sweep function help but I'm guessing it will work fine now. 🤣 🤣 

Posted : 30/05/2020 10:26 am
Share:
Select your currency