Notifications
Clear all

Load Cell

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@qsacfan)
Topic starter

What size load cell would work for testing a stock RC230 Zenoha engine ?

Engine Stats: Displacement: 22.5cc. Power: 2.8HP @14,000 RPM. Torque: 1.32 ft/lbs @10,000 RPM. Timing:30 degrees BTDC @ 8,000 RPM. Compression Ratio: 9.2:1. Fuel: 95 octane or higher mixed 25:1 with 2-stroke oil.

Thanks Bill

Posted : 16/09/2016 7:07 am
(@admin)
Member Admin

Bill,

1.32 lbft is about 2Nm. Assuming a load arm of 20 cm, you get:

2Nm / 0.2 m / 9.81N/kg = 1 kg

With some margin for tuning(!) you should choose for example 2kg. Here is a good choice:

https://www.amazon.com/lotoclub-Aluminium-Transducer-Production-Electronic/dp/B00XEEUQ5I

There are many cheap ones available with a 1mV/V output. We perfer at least 2mV/V (2mV/V means if we feed it with 1 Volt, max load will produce a signal of 2mV which we measure), 1mV/V will produce slightly more instrument noise (still very likely lower than your mechanical noise from vibrations, etc). Plus you should pay attention to the linearity and stability over temperature, etc. The load cell above is good, but depending on your wish for accuracy you may go with a lower cost option too, for example this one will work (increase the load arm slightly to say 25cm in order not to overload the load cell):

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Balance-Weighing-Sensor-0-1Kg/dp/B0057DKZSW

Note that if your setup includes gearing, then you need to multiply the size of the load cell with the gearing. 

Let me know if I can help further!

Happy tuning,
Jostein

Posted : 17/09/2016 4:34 am
(@admin)
Member Admin

We can deliver the instrumentation kit with the load cell of your choosing for just the additional cost of the load cell (and shipping), or you can connect it yourself. There are 4 wires from the load cell to solder to the connector, very easy. 

Posted : 17/09/2016 7:45 am
(@qsacfan)
Topic starter

Thanks for the fast and detailed reply. I will post some photos of the project soon

Bill

Posted : 19/09/2016 3:09 am
(@qsacfan)
Topic starter

Hi

So understand correctly, I'm ready to order the kit I have a load cell so I order the kit without a load cell ?. Does the kit include the connectors (male plugs) that plug into the electronic box for load cell and Lambda sensor ?

Thanks Bill

Posted : 28/09/2016 6:21 pm
Share:
Select your currency
EUR Euro
USD United States (US) dollar