RPM Sensor

14 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@manyponies)
Topic starter

I need to replace the RPM sensor.

Is the Supplied Sensor NPN NO?       

Can a two wire magnetic sensing sensor be wired to the system such as an MSD crank trigger sensor.   I have both steel toothed wheels and aluminum wheels with magnets.

Thanks

Posted : 02/08/2022 9:32 am
Topic Tags
(@admin)
Member Admin

Yes, the sensor needs to be NPN type (there is a pullup resistor inside the YourDyno box). A 2 wire magnetic sensor (VR sensor) cannot be used. It is also important that the trigger wheel does not have any missing teeth.

Posted : 02/08/2022 12:15 pm
(@manyponies)
Topic starter

@admin   Thanks      what frequency will the box handle     I use a 36 tooth wheel with no missing teeth. 

Posted : 02/08/2022 12:20 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

@manyponies, keep it below 5000Hz with no pulse divider (default). There is a pulse divider in the Advanced options under RPM setup if you have higher pulse rate. 

Posted : 02/08/2022 12:29 pm
(@manyponies)
Topic starter

@admin  I was just looking at the pulse divider.   Would prescaling to "2" essentially make my 36 tooth wheel be seen as a 18 tooth?

Posted : 02/08/2022 12:31 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

@manyponies, correct.

Posted : 02/08/2022 3:34 pm
(@manyponies)
Topic starter

@admin    There are many Depac Dyno systems in use.  There has been no support or repair since the owner died in 2018.  The Depac used a signal generator to produce the rpm signal .It appears to be a NEMA 17 stepper motor and produces a 50 pulse signal per revolution.  As these Depac systems become obsolete due to no support they will need to be replaced with new data AQ and load control. It would be advantageous to be able to use the Depac hardware in a retrofit .

Do you have an idea of a signal conditioner that may work in this instance and how to wire it. 

Posted : 03/08/2022 4:55 pm
(@manyponies)
Topic starter

another pic on a Go Power Dyno

Posted : 03/08/2022 4:56 pm
(@manyponies)
Topic starter

I’ve lost the magic

im trying to replace the rpm sensor with a sensor that I can readily get. I’m 4 sensors in and still no tach reading. I’m using npn no sensors as that is the best I can tell from searching the spec on the old sensor.   I get a led that flashes when triggered but no rpm on the tach

Posted : 05/08/2022 1:45 pm
(@admin)
Member Admin

@manyponies, yes I am aware of the Depac. They had a good water brake control system. 

YourDyno is coming out with a new water brake valve very soon, stay tuned for more info. It is awesome! This valve together with YourDyno DAQ will be a nice replacement for Depac setups. 

The RPM sensor you show a picture of is a 12V-48V sensor. That will likely not work when connected directly to YourDyno which is 5V. That said, if you see if the led flash as the teeth go by then that's a good sign. Maybe you connected it to 12V? In that case it is extra important that you don't use an extra pullup (to 12V), as it can kill the YourDyno board. You can also measure with a multimeter on the YourDyno connector that you get 0V (or close to) and 5V when you very slowly rotate the trigger wheel. Check Pulses per revolution in the RPM setup and look at the RPM1 gauge, this is the raw reading of the RPM input. Maybe the gear ratio is set to 0 then Engine RPM will show 0 no matter what. 

If all else fails you can always buy an RPM sensor from YourDyno 🤣 

Posted : 05/08/2022 2:33 pm
(@manyponies)
Topic starter

New sensors are not connected to 12 volt.   They are boing connected to the 5 v from the yourdyno box

i do have 5 v across the v+ and 0v

Posted : 05/08/2022 4:54 pm
(@manyponies)
Topic starter

There are a few feathers of the Depac water control that I think would be threat additions to the your dyno system

Posted : 05/08/2022 4:56 pm
(@six_shooter)

Have you added pull up resistors? Many of these types of sensors need pull up resistors to have a proper signal produced.

Posted : 08/08/2022 2:56 am
(@manyponies)
Topic starter

@admin    Can you elaborate on the water valve a bit.  I'm assuming it will be supplied with a stepper or servo.  When is your projection it will be available?

Posted : 10/08/2022 3:06 pm
Share:
Select your currency
EUREuro